Dr. Taylor leads internationally recognized research at the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center. His high-impact work has resulted in the development of standard practices such as AASHTO PP 84: “Developing Performance Engineered Concrete Pavement Mixtures.” Additionally, his research has helped transportation agencies save millions of dollars by preventing premature failures in sawn joints and improving concrete proportioning tools for sustainable concrete mixtures.
Taylor regularly presents at workshops, seminars, and conferences as an invited speaker, where the information he presents about the current research in concrete technology has a strong impact on the concrete pavement community in the United States and internationally.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, 1995
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, 1982
- Director, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2015–present
- Research Professor, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Ames, IA, 2020–present
- Research Associate Professor, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Ames, IA, 2014–2020
- Associate Director, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, 2007–2015
- Adjunct Faculty, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2007–2014
- Engineer & Group Manager, Construction Technology Laboratories (CTLGroup), 1997–2007
- Engineer, Cement and Concrete Institute, South Africa, 1992–1997
- Senior Lecturer, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1990–1991
- Research Officer, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1987–1989
- Engineer, Stewart Scott, NCL – Consulting Engineers, 1983–1987
Selected Research Experience
- Airport Concrete Pavement Technology Program, Cooperative Agreement 692M15-20-T-00029, Federal Aviation Administration, $3,500,000, 2020–2021
- Technology Transfer of Concrete Pavement Technologies, FHWA DTFH61-12-RA-00014, $9,000,000, 2018–2022
- Evaluation of Penetrating Sealers for Concrete, IHRB, $150,000, 2018–2020
- Performance Engineered Concrete Mixtures, Transportation Pooled Fund, TPF 5(368), $3,000,000, 2017–2021
- Reduced Cementitious Material in Optimized Concrete Mixtures, MnDOT, $150,000, 2017–2019
- Impacts of Internally Cured Concrete Paving on Contraction Joint Spacing, Phase 2, IHRB, $260,000, 2018–2020.
- Entrained Air Void System for Durable Highway Concrete, $550,000, 2015–2019
- Prevention and Restoration of Early Joint Deterioration, IHRB, $75,000, 2015–2016
- Concrete Overlay Performance on Iowa’s Roadways, IHRB, $190,000, 2015–2019
- Extended Life Concrete Bridge Decks Utilizing Improved Internal Curing to Reduce Cracking, ODOT, $180,000, 2015–2018
- Concrete Pavement Mixture Design and Analysis. TPF Pooled Fund and FHWA Cooperative Agreement, approximately $800,000, 2009–2013
- Investigation of Deterioration of Joints in Concrete Pavements, TPF Pooled Fund and FHWA Cooperative Agreement, approximately $800,000, Michigan Technological University and Purdue University, 2009–2015
- Identifying Incompatible Combinations of Concrete Materials, FHWA, FHWA-HRT-06-080, $500,000, 2002–2006
- Wi, K., Wang, K., Taylor, P., Laflamme, S., Sritharan, S., and Qin, H. 2021. Properties and Microstructure of Extrusion-Based 3D Printing Mortar Containing a Highly Flowable, Rapid Set Grout. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 124.
- Wang, X., Song, P., Yu, H., Taylor, P., Sadati, S., Freeseman, K., and Ning, Y. 2021. Extended Life Concrete Bridge Decks Utilizing Internal Curing to Reduce Cracking – Materials Characterization and Engineering Demonstration. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 275.
- Ling, Y., Zhang, P., Wang, J., Taylor, P., and Hu, S. 2020. Effects of nanoparticles on engineering performance of cementitious composites reinforced with PVA fibers. Nanotechnology Reviews, Vol. 9, pp. 504–514.
- Registered Professional Engineer, Illinois
- Active member of Transportation Research Board, American Society for Testing & Materials (ASTM), American Concrete Institute (ACI) and ACI Iowa
- Vice-chair, ACI 325: Concrete Pavements
- Sub-committee chair, ACI 325-F: Concrete Overlays
- Board Member, International Society of Concrete Pavements
- Chair of Planning Committee for ACI IA Better Concrete Conference
- Member of ACPA Vison 2040 Blue Ribbon Panel to envision the future of transportation and how concrete pavements can help meet the demands
Panels and Boards
- American Concrete Pavement Association, Strategic Advisory Board, 2017–present
- FHWA Sustainable Pavements Technical Working Group, 2015–present
- FHWA Pavement Implementation Executive Task Group, 2015–2018
- Executive Committee, TERRA, At-Large member, Academic Sector, 2013–2015
- Transportation Engineering and Road Research Alliance, TERRA Board, 2010–2015
Honors and Awards
- American Public Works Association, Iowa Chapter, Technical Innovation Award, 2017
- Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Concrete State Award for Technical Achievement, 2017
- Portland Cement Association, PCA Education Foundation J.P. Gleason Fellowship Award, 2015
- Concrete Society of Southern Africa, Western Cape Branch, Annual Grant for Post-Graduate Research in Concrete, 1990